Now to get started on the structure!
That year we really learned to hate the weather. We started building in the very early spring so fighting with the snow wasn’t fun and when summer came it was hot, some days too hot to work. When it rained we went to town for supplies but then the next day we had to work twice as hard dealing with the mud on top of that. When it was windy we had to tie supplies down so we didn’t have to run to the neighbors yard to retrieve them. The wind was so bad one day that we all had to take cover in the basement of our house (no upper walls up yet) to watch our kids tents and free-standing garage blow away.
Now the exciting part! Too build the structure!
As said prior we chose to build with Polycore as it has many unique advantages, insulation value, significant labor cost savings, and its ease of installation makes the product easy for the “do-it-yourselfer” and save on skilled trade workers.
For this part of my blog I really wanted to go into detail about building with Polycore so I hope this interests you as much as it did to us while building. As said before it was imperative the footings are close to perfectly level for the panels to sit on. The only cement in our house would be the footings and telepost pads as seen in the photo below.
Next step was to install a moisture barrier under the steel track on the footings. After we had all of the steel track anchored to the footing you then start putting the panels up (they are numbered to the engineered drawings). I must have been put to work because there’s no photos of the panels 🙂 As you can see from the picture some of the panels had wiring holes and window openings so it made it easier to work with, also we put steel cross members to make it stronger and used a million cans of spray foam to seal EVERY crack in-between the panels so it was moisture tight. So as you can see we have all the basement walls up and have attached the joists.
The panels that are going to be below grade level came coated with concrete. The main level goes up the same way of course the panels need bracing until the trusses are on. The door ways and window openings are re-enforced with additional header steel as you can see. The open concept made it fun for the boys to roller blade 🙂
We got all of our lines buried. Power, water, weeping tile and sprayed the tar on the lower level before it was back-filled with gravel and dirt.
To get the basement floor ready for the panels we had to spread sand throughout then tamp it making sure it was leveled accurately. This was hard to do especially when you had pipes in the way.
Lower windows went in next of course in a wood frame.
Did all the major framing on the main level before we started on the trusses.
Time for trusses! We had some guys help us with the trusses as our roof had a 10/12 pitch so I wouldn’t let my husband do it 🙁
While they were putting up the trusses we were installing the upper windows and doors.
Soon after we started sheeting the roof as well as the inside basement walls. Then my husband being an electrician started the wiring and installing the pocket lights.
The guys shingled the roof for us then we were pretty well to lock-up stage!
My husband and I found it quite easy to work with the Polycore panels. The plastic strips on the exterior made it easy to attached siding. I will still be mentioning Polycore as we build but I just wanted to give you a look at how the structure went up.
If we were to build again I would definitely use Polycore! Once again there product is awesome and there customer support will not leave you hanging, they will help you in anyway they can. Thanks Mark for everything!